“And it shall come to pass, that he who flees from the noise or the fear, shall fall into the pit; and he that cometh up out of the midst of the pit shall be taken in the snare!” Prepare yourselves with the book of Department of Truth, chapters 1 & 2!
The official plot:
“Cole Turner has studied conspiracy theories all his life, but he isn’t prepared for what happens when he discovers that all of them are true, from the JFK assassination to flat Earth theory and reptilian shapeshifters. One organization has been covering them up for generations. What is the deep, dark secret behind the Department of Truth?”Image Comics
That’s a great solicitation…unfortunately, it’s pretty vague. We learn early on, that it’s more like “managing” the so-called secrets. A more apt description is “the truth” is always in flux…literally.
- No doubt about it, this one is a real head-scratcher!
- If things work the way they are saying…there is one helluva butterfly effect going on. Constantly!
- 80’s child care abuse cases…not what I thought the first story would tackle…I’m impressed.
- See the glacier at the edge of the world!
- Witness personified evil feasting on children.
- Meet the crack team that manages this chaos. Most of whom feel easily replicable.
Bottom Line: 3 Stars!
Definitely not the conspiracy theory story I thought it would be. It will be interesting to see exactly how it plays out. On the positive side, this set-up definitely leaves the book open to incorporating just about anything. Ultimately, the jury is out on if this is a long term title for me.