Batman #99-100, “Joker War” conclusion
“You are my hammer and weapon of war: with you I break nations in pieces; with you I destroy kingdoms;” Who is this weapon? It is revealed in the book of Batman, chapters 99-100!
This is the tale as witnessed by James Tynion IV.
Cast into light by Jorge Jimenez.
The official plot:
“The Joker War’ comes to a city-shattering conclusion as Batman battles The Joker in a brutal, no-holds-barred duel! This is a fight 80 years in the making, and its outcome won’t just change Batman’s life, it will change Gotham City for years to come! Plus, a pair of short stories that will chart what’s to come in Gotham City and Batman.”DC Comics
The highly hyped Joker war comes to it’s expected conclusion. As expected, everyone under the sun shows up to throw a punch or two. Does it live up to the hype? Not in the way you might expect.
- Harley Quinn is the best part of this story arc. A timely intervention saves the day, and when she get’s serious, it’s chilling.
- Oracle is back online. ‘Nuff said.
- Clownhunter. Either he ends up a Robin, or he’s a flash in the pan. There’s no in-between.
- Did Harley just become a member of the Bat-family???
- Batman (Bruce Wayne)
- The full Bat-Family
- Harley Quinn (Harleen Frances Quinzel)
- Punchline (Alexis Kaye)
- Clownhunter (Bao Pham)
- Ghost-Maker 1st Appearance! (Cameo)
Bottom Line: 4 Stars!
I feel like the climax for this story arc was about 1 page long. The build-up of how badly Joker and his forces were destroying Gotham, along with the corruption that is revealed is absolutely huge. Batman finally admitting he can’t deal with this alone and calling in the help of his various protégés doesn’t feel quite sufficient to handle the task. And then it’s over…and fast too. However, Harley’s part in the finale is almost a whole new character. I really hope we see her continue to evolve down this path, and become a semi permanent member of the troupe.